HOUSE OF CULTURE.
What we know today as La Casa de la Cultura Maya was home of General Venancio Puc until 1862 and home to the second government of the former Santa Cruz Balam NojKaj Naj. This building was built in the year of 1854-1856, while the church was being built NojCah Balam Nah. The Maya rebels, having captured several teachers initially allocated the halls of this building to function as classrooms for the children of chiefs and generals Maya. That women and men punished Yucatan caught when they disobeyed the law of this holy town. Its construction was strategically located near the church Bala’an Naj, as the Mayans performed “Guards” of the Tres Cruces from 1854-1900 and 1918-1929.
Currently it is the House of Culture of the City, where classes are offered Maya, Guitar, Dance, craft workshops, and there is a painting exhibition room and cultural events.
This site was built between the years 1864-1870, when he was Governor General of the Mayan people Crecencio Poot. And during the government of General May, this battery was used to punish those who violated the laws and customs Mayas. The practice of breaking lashes, dating from 1915, in which the culprit was led to the doors of the church, kneeling before the cross, his arms stretched out towards one of the two guards present in the sentence, was entering while the other guard received twelve lashes. Ending the punishment the defendant before the cross prayed several prayers with them was blameless. The alien who committed a fault is applied the same punishment, but it was in the Church, but in the pile Spanking. In the case of the sin of adultery, was given to each of the guilty 50 lashes and then the aggrieved girlfriend will sour orange juice poured into the wounds of the adulterous couple.
MUSEUM CHAN SANTA CRUZ BALAM NAH
Formerly served as boarding school for underprivileged children, is located in the town of Felipe Carrillo Puerto, Calle 68 S / n colony center, this place dedicated to the exhibition of the remains of the Maya area, and the history surrounding the beautiful port city of Felipe carrillo, the museum has 5 rooms each with a respective name of the heroes of the caste war, the museum has health services, recreational spaces, 4 cultural guides that provide the service tourists that visit at no cost, as taught summer courses for children who want to learn more about the culture, manage programs for children from different schools of the town to learn about the history of their city, in today’s young people can provide their service through social service, residence, the museum is open to the public from Tuesday to Sunday from 9:00 to 15 hrs.