This native settlement was the political and religious capital of the prehispanic province Cochuah. It is located 91 kilometers from the Municipality of Felipe Carrillo Puerto, 12 kilometers of Tihosuco and 50 kilometers from the city of Valladolid, Yucatán. It was here that the Caste War began. Continuar leyendo
In ancient times, the settlement belonged to the province of Cochuah. Once achieved the Spanish conquest, the town became part of the Franciscan province of San José de Yucatán.
Just like other communities in the region, habited by the Mayan, Xcabil is abandoned at the beginning of the Caste War (1847-1901). Repopulation is initiated into the third decade of the twentieth century. Today is the head of the town of the same name, whose endowment was given in 1953. In the year 1995 Xcabil had 831 habitants. The name comes from the Mayan language, “where the honey is produced.” During the festivities in honor of the Virgin of Guadalupe and the feast of the God of Rain in July, parades are happily organized. Continuar leyendo
Only 50 km. away from the municipal seat of José Maria Morelos, you will find Sabán, founded in the eighteenth century as a colonial parcel. His first chief was Martin de Montalvo, who kept it until his death in 1764.
Sabán was a fair-sized settlement. Around 1795 had 300 families of Mayan Indians and seven Hispanic or Creole, for a total of 2.259 habitants. In the early nineteenth century, cultivation of sugar cane was introduced to the town. Before the Independence War, 3.628 people habited the place. Continuar leyendo