Huaymax and Xcabil two small mystical communities

XCABIL

xcabilpIn ancient times, the settlement belonged to the province of Cochuah. Once achieved the Spanish conquest, the town became part of the Franciscan province of San José de Yucatán.

Just like other communities in the region, habited by the Mayan, Xcabil is abandoned at the beginning of the Caste War (1847-1901). Repopulation is initiated into the third decade of the twentieth century. Today is the head of the town of the same name, whose endowment was given in 1953. In the year 1995 Xcabil had 831 habitants. The name comes from the Mayan language, “where the honey is produced.” During the festivities in honor of the Virgin of Guadalupe and the feast of the God of Rain in July, parades are happily organized.

The church, dedicated to Our Lady of Guadalupe, was built in the eighteenth century. It is built on a foundation maybe prehispanic. Its walls are based on limestone masonry with thick buttresses to hold the sleeve of a barrel vault, made of wooden logs. The façade, possibly altered in the twentieth century, is crowned at its top, and it has a ledge on which rests a belfry with three arches that form the bell. The access is also arched.

Xcabil is one of the few places where you can still see the remains of an old “ferris wheel”, a hydraulic structure common in the colony, for the storage of water. These were built on “cenotes” (sinkholes) and probably came to be focal points for the villages.

HUAYMAX

huaymaxpThis settlement, of regular size and importance, was founded in prehispanic times, being located in the center of the province of Cochuah. His Mayan name, translated into Castilian, means “Land of abundant food.”

During mid-sixteenth century was a colonial parcel, mostly habited by Mayans. Currently there are no remains of Spanish buildings. At the outbreak of the Caste War (1847.1901), indigenous people join the insurgents, which caused the site to be abandoned for more than half a century. In the decade of 1930-1940, families came from the neighboring state of Yucatan to resettle Huaymax.

Today, the community’s economy is based primarily on farming.

La iglesia del poblado, dedicada a la Virgen de la Concepción, es de la época virreinal.

The Village church dedicated to Our Lady of Conception is from the colonial era. Its construction began in the eighteenth century, being originally an open chapel. Later on, it was added a thatched roof, gabled, supported by wooden columns. It has a triangular top austere facade, whose central portion is flanked by two towers with three belfries.

A distinctive exterior staircase connects the choir and bell tower. The north side is the way to enter the temple.